Moving and change are never easy, especially in the later years of life when one has resided in their home for a long time. Many seniors, alongside their family members, struggle with the transition to retirement living. Here are some tried and true ways that caregivers can help make the switch to retirement living easier on the seniors they love and care for.
- Include your loved one in making the decision in the first place, allowing them to feel a sense of control over the choice made.
- Take a tour of the facility together with your family member and even ask about a trial stay for a few nights.
- Personalize the space with items, photographs and things that make your loved one feel at home
- Get to know the staff at the retirement facility with your senior and don’t be afraid to ask questions as needed.
- Attend social and recreational events with your senior family member at the retirement facility in the beginning and encourage them to continue attending so they can build community and make friends.
- Be patient. Transitions are difficult but worthwhile and the benefits of living in a retirement home far outweigh the drawbacks.
Finally, assisted living support programs can be a great introduction to the benefits retirement living. At Carefor, our living services are healthcare services that provide eligible seniors living in Pembroke with the assistance that they need to allow them to continue living on their own for as long as possible. Assisted living services focus on providing support for everyday activities that seniors can no longer do on their own, such as:
- Mouth care
- Preventative skin care
- Toileting or incontinence care
Our program at Carefor also provide safety and reassurance checks and 24-hour urgent response via telephone or in person.