Posting Date: February 7, 2024
The Opportunity: Personal Support Worker, Permanent
As a Personal Support Worker, you will make an impact on the lives of others and feel valued, respected, listened to, and empowered to live up to your potential at Carefor Health and Community Services.
At Carefor we are in ongoing need of Personal Support Workers to support our clients in their homes and in retirement settings. You will be providing them with care and support so they can stay at their own homes longer and more safely.
What You Will Do:
The Personal Support Worker is a critical role within our communities as it positively affects the lives of clients and ignites the warmth of human connection. You will be making a difference in the lives of your clients each day by providing personal care, delegated exercise programs, and activities of daily living (ADLs) as prescribed by each client’s individual care plan while collaborating with all members of the health care team to meet the needs of individuals to attain their optimal level of independence and well-being.
You will make an impact on the lives of clients in the following ways:
- Assist in the activities of daily living including eating, dressing, transferring, toileting, grooming, and bathing
- Provide cognitive, social, and compassionate support
- Document reports for clients on their plan of care and any changes in the behavior of daily routines
To provide optimal service to our clients as a Part-Time Personal Support Worker, we require that you are capable of making a commitment to accommodate 37.5 hours bi weekly. Must be able to work on shift rotations days and evening and weekends, every second weekend.
A standard schedule will be respected, subject to changes as required by program demand, changes in client visits and caseload. To support planning, we offer you a schedule 2 weeks in advance.
- Certificate in Home Support Worker (Level II, III), Personal Support Worker or Developmental Service Worker program, Health Care Aide, Foreign-Trained BScN or Doctor, Paramedic Graduate, BScN Nursing Student, or second year RPN student.
- National Academy of Careers Colleges Certificate, if applicable
- Your ability to manage confidential information
- Your ability to work independently
- Your ability to communicate effectively in English, both written and verbal
- You can provide a Vulnerable Sector check (obtained within the previous six months)
- You are comfortable working in various social and economic environments
- You can provide up to date immunizations for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, rubella and hepatitis
- You are comfortable using a smartphone to communicate with clients and Carefor office staff by phone and email
- You are comfortable using a smartphone for screening and security applications (apps)
- Experience with Palliative Care is considered an asset
What We Have to Offer You
- Competitive wages (in addition to the Provincial government $3/hr. wage enhancement)
- Defined Pension Plan with the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
- Paid 3-day orientation
- Paid professional development and training
- Employee Assistance Program
- All necessary Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- 24/7 on-call Supervisors’ support
- Opportunities for growth
- A collaborative, diverse and inclusive team culture
Job Types: Part Time, Permanent
Salary: $16.55 per hour
Flexible Language Requirement:
- French not required
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Weekends as needed
Supplemental pay types:
- Overtime pay
- English (required)
- PSW certificate or equivalency (required)
- Driving Licence (G2/G) (preferred)
Work Location: In person
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,600 employees operating in Eastern Counties, Ottawa, and Pembroke-Renfrew County. Formerly the Victorian Order of Nurses, Carefor has been providing service in Ottawa for over 123 years.
Carefor will only provide employment to those who can provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to Human Rights exemption.
Carefor is committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please let us know in your application if you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.