“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: January 9, 2023
Reference No: OT-23-01-0001
OT-23-01-0001- Casual Drivers
Posting Date: Monday, January 9, 2023
Position(s): Casual Drivers Ottawa GH/GEM Programs
Hours of work: 0 hours per bi-weekly pay period
Location: Ottawa West
Under the supervision of the Community Support Services Manager, the Driver operates a passenger van to transport clients safely and efficiently. Coordinates route to ensure clients are picked up and dropped off to attend their appointments as scheduled and assists clients as necessary. Interacts and communicates effectively with clients, customers, co-workers, physicians, public, volunteers, and other organizations. The Driver also collects transportation fees as directed by management.
Primary Responsibilities include:
- Pick up at specified location, at designated time and transport to their destination on time.
- Guide or assist client to get in and out of the vehicle
- Escort clients as required from door to door and if necessary ensure the appropriate person at the destination is aware of the client’s arrival.
- Load mechanical aids, handling equipment safely and carefully to prevent damage. Ensue aids or other items are secured in the vehicle
- Collects fees as directed by management.
- Reports any incident or concern regarding client to manager, e.g. changes in condition, increasing frailty, confusion or forgetfulness
- Carries out Daily Inspection and records.
- Does not operate the vehicle if safety features on the vehicle are not operating properly e.g. brake lights, turn signals, back up signal.
- Record on the Daily Inspection sheet and reports any mechanical deficiencies e.g. improperly operating signal lights, low tires, unusual sounds.
- Keep interior and exterior of vehicle clean – daily removing garbage and other items; weekly thorough cleaning of interior and exterior (weather permitting).
- May be assigned to take vehicle to the service center for maintenance.
- May be required to carry out minor maintenance such as changing windshield wipers, air in tires.
- Keeps the vehicle at least ¾ full of fuel at all times
- Accurately completes records of drives, mileage, fares, and time as required by Carefor
- Attend in-service or department meetings as scheduled
- Functions and reports in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety legislation, regulations, and Carefor policies and procedures
- Reports the absence of or defect in any equipment or protective device of which he/she is aware and which may endanger him/herself or another worker
- Reports any violations of the Health and Safety Act or the regulations, or the existence of any hazard
- Ensures all workplace incidents are reported in a timely manner in accordance with legislation, and Carefor policies and procedures for workplace injuries and incidents
- Minimum 3 years driving experience with a clean driving record
- Experience working with seniors and/or persons with disabilities is an asset.
- Effective communication skills (verbal, written)
- Knowledge of geographical area – Renfrew County and Ottawa is an asset
- Travel to rural areas
- Ability to take direction well, and work independently
- Learn and use a GPS
- Evaluate situations and use policies and procedures as guidelines
- Ability and available to work flexible hours including shift work, days, evening, weekends
- Adjust to changing procedures and schedules
- Ability to move and/or lift wheelchairs, walkers or other mechanical aids on a frequent basis
- Physically provide support to frail clients
- Secondary school education preferred
- Must have a current valid driver’s license, Class G or higher in the province of Ontario (not graduated license)
- No known health conditions that may impair driving safety
- Must be at least 25 years of age for insurance purposes
- Must have own vehicle insurance policy with $2 million coverage is preferred
Anticipated Start Date: ASAP
Hours per Pay Period: 0
Interested applicants should apply in writing to Kristyn Armolavicius in Human Resources no later than 4:30 p.m. on Monday, January 16, 2023. Please forward your resume to email@example.com Please note that only candidates who submit a resume will be considered for the posting.
Please note that candidates may be selected with the use of interview and assessment processes.
Carefor values equity, diversity and inclusion in all its forms and recruits qualified individuals at all occupational levels that reflect the diversity of our clients and our community. We are committed to providing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and a work environment that supports our diverse workforce. If you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process, please let your TA Coordinator know or contact us in confidence at firstname.lastname@example.org providing notice in advance. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.