“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
The Opportunity - Guest House Assistant
Carefor Health & Community Services is a local, charitable, non-profit home health care and community support service organization. We offer a wide range of programs and services, supporting clients of all ages-and their caregivers. Our skilled staff work closely with clients, caregivers and other members within the circle of care, to create and deliver a flexible care plan that is tailored to the individual’s needs.
Guesthouse is a 24 hour respite program for individuals living with dementia on the Perley Health site. Working as part of a team, the Guest Assistant is responsible for facilitating the guest’s stay by promoting and supporting his/her abilities/strengths. The assistant will support the guest’s physical, social, emotional and spiritual care in keeping with the mission, goals, and objectives of the program and within the framework of Carefor’s policies, procedures and standards. The assistant may be responsible for a number of housekeeping duties to ensure smooth operation of the Guest House.
Carefor is committed to providing quality care to its clients twenty-four (24) hours a day, seven (7) days a week. In order to accomplish this, you will be expected to work the schedule as posted. However, Carefor does reserve the right to change the schedule as required.
You will make an impact in the following ways:
- Taking direction from the Team leaders or Charge staff
- Assist with personal support tasks reflecting the needs of the individual/family.
- Support the guest’s need for supervision/cueing/assistance with bathing, dressing, eating, toileting and mobilizing
- Assist with daily housekeeping duties (sweeping, dusting, tidying, bed-making etc.)
- Assist with laundry (bed linen, towels etc.) for the program
- Undertake meal preparation and other kitchen duties
- Facilitate meaningful activities to ensure guests enjoy their stay
- Help create and maintain welcoming, home-like environment for guests
- Maintain a clean and safe environment
- Encourage guests to contribute to the tasks involved in running of the program, to the best of their abilities.
- Plan, lead and participate in a varied program of meaningful one-on-one and small group activities geared to the guests’ abilities and preferences
- Work as part of a team that includes staff, volunteers, guests and family members
What we offer you:
- Competitive base salary
- Health and dental benefits
- Defined Pension Plan with the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
- Work life balance
- Employee assistance program
- Professional development opportunities
- A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our client
You will need to have:
- Degree/Diploma/Certificate in Social Services, Dementia, Personal Support Worker, Development Support Worker, SSW or Gerontology or related education
- Experience or Education in Recreation is considered an asset
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR Certificate mandatory
- Food Handling Certificate is an asset
- Work/volunteer experience with Dementia clients or special needs elderly is preferred
- Ability to understand, speak, read and write in English fluently
- Ability to understand and speak fluently in French
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills & experience working in a team Environment
- Experience working with seniors or individuals with cognitive impairments
- Ability to take direction well
- Ability to work independently
- Training in responsive behaviour management and intervention, example: GPA
Carefor will only provide employment to those who can provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to Human Rights exemption.
Carefor is committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please let us know in your application if you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity