“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: January 7, 2022
Reference No: OT-22-3-0025
The Opportunity – Payroll Administrator
Reporting to the Payroll Supervisor and working closely with Human Resources, the Payroll Administrator is responsible for ensuring that all employees are paid in accordance with Carefor’s bi-weekly payroll schedule and in accordance with the terms & conditions of employment as prescribed by Collective Agreements, Carefor policy, employment contracts, and legislative requirements. Primary tasks include preparing and verifying payroll data, processing employee payments, preparing T2200 and ROEs, assisting the supervisor in annual pension reconciliations and adjustments and T4 preparation, monthly and annual payroll reconciliations, journal entries, and payroll remittances.
You will make an impact in the following ways:
- Complete the full payroll function ensuring all employees receive applicable wages and benefits per schedule
- Work in liaison with Human Resources and other departments to administer group benefits including pension, enroll/terminate employee coverage, and ensure pay and personnel records are accurate and up to date
- Complete, store, and maintain all payroll records and information according to governing legislation and for audit purposes
- Issue ad hoc, monthly, quarterly, and annual reports
- Prepare payroll remittances as required by legislation or agreement within the timeframes required and reconcile payroll records to monthly statements
- Maintain employee time records and calculate vacation, compensation, leaves of absence, pension, and records of employment
- Enter and verify payroll information submitted from multiple sources Monitor changes in payroll legislation, policies, and procedures
- Respond to employees’ inquiries regarding pay and benefits; maintain record of inquiries and process terminations and prepare Record of Employment as required
- Validate and ensure all wage changes are properly processed
- Assist with year-end reconciliation and reports. Prepare T2200 for eligible employees.
- Follow all policies and procedures as required while maintaining a healthy and safe working environment
- Provide support and back-up for the other payroll positions
- Liaise with Payroll at other Carefor sites to support shared workers
- Other payroll duties and projects as assigned
What we offer you:
- Competitive base salary
- Health and dental benefits
- Defined benefit pension program
- Flexible schedule and work arrangements
- Work life balance
- Employee assistance program
- Professional development opportunities
- A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
We are looking for an individual who:
In our fast-paced, responsive, and caring environment, we are looking for a self-starter who has the experience and ability to jump in on day one with energy and passion to advance best practices. You will not be daunted by the various areas we would like you to focus on, as you enjoy the challenge of knowing there is always a list of priorities, and you enjoy supporting and working with a small team to accomplish great things.
As the ideal candidate, you will have at least 3 years of practical accounting experience in payroll, bookkeeping, Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable. You have completed a three- year college diploma in business/payroll administration or a similar or an acceptable combination of education and experience.
The following items describe important experience and competency areas you will have demonstrated in your current or previous roles to be successful in this role:
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; professional, diplomatic, and confident with a proven ability to work with individuals across all levels of the organization and external stakeholders.
- High level of accountability and proven capability to work with highly sensitive and confidential information
- Superior attention to detail
- Excellent organizational and time management skills with the proven ability to manage competing demands
- Experience working with financial data as well as budget and invoice management
- Technical literacy including experience with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work in a team environment keeping others informed and anticipating needs is essential, while maintaining willingness to contribute and help others
- Ability to work independently and with minimal direction
- Good problem-solving and decision-making skills
If you have the following it would be considered an additional asset:
- Ability to converse in both official languages (English/French)
- Experience in health care and not-for-profit sector
- Experience with Quadrant and/or Great Plains
You will need to have:
- Payroll certification required (PCP or CPM) or a post-secondary diploma in a business/payroll administration program of three years or greater
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience supporting a complex multi-site payroll environment with multiple unions.
- Advanced proficiency with payroll programs and applications; experience with Quadrant is considered an asset
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills with a proven effective customer service focus.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel
- In depth knowledge of Ontario Employment Standards and other applicable legislation
- Ability to handle confidential information and work under pressure with tight deadlines
- Experience working in a team oriented collaborative environment
- Ability to converse in both official languages is considered an asset
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,600 employees operating in Eastern Counties, Ottawa, and Pembroke-Renfrew County. Formerly the Victorian Order of Nurses, Carefor has been providing service in Ottawa for over 123 years.
Please visit www.carefor.ca to learn about the range of programs and services we offer to the Champlain Region.
Carefor will only provide employment to those who can provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to Human Rights exemption.
Carefor values equity, diversity and inclusion in all its forms and recruits qualified individuals at all occupational levels that reflect the diversity of our clients and our community. We are committed to providing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and a work environment that supports our diverse workforce. If you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process, please let your TA Coordinator know or contact us in confidence providing notice in advance. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.