“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: November 2, 2021
Reference No: P21-002
The Opportunity – Homemaker
Carefor Health & Community Services is in search of a permanent part time Homemaker in the Going Home Program, which is a program that aims to help seniors remain safely at home after leaving the hospital.
As a Homemaker with Carefor, you will be making a difference in the lives of your clients each day. You will provide personal care, light housekeeping, delegated exercise programs and activities of daily living (ADLs) at the homes of your clients as prescribed by each client’s individual care plan. The PSW/Homemaker will collaborate with the Program Coordinator to meet the needs of clients and attain an optimal level of independence in the home environment.
Access to a vehicle is required as there might be a need to travel throughout the City of Ottawa.
You will make an impact in the following ways:
- Maintain a clean, safe, home environment
- Sweep, vacuum, sponge mop floors
- Dust furniture
- Clean bathrooms
- Change bed linens, wash, dry personal clothing and linens
- Collect garbage from all rooms and dispose in designated trash bins
- Wash and dry dishes
- Wash fridge and stove (as required)
- Follow infection control policies and procedures for housekeeping
- Report unsafe conditions or changes in client’s home environment
What we offer you:
- Pay in lieu of benefits
- Pay in lieu of vacation
- Paid orientation
- Flexible schedule and work arrangements
- Work life balance
- Employee assistance program
- Professional development opportunities
- A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
You will be required to:
- Use safe body mechanics for lifting
- Bend, turn, squat on an ongoing basis
- Stand, sit, kneel for short periods
You will need to have:
- Clear vulnerable Sector check (obtained within previous six months)
- Up to date immunizations for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, rubella and hepatitis
- Negative tuberculosis test
- Household management experience
- Experience working with elderly/vulnerable sector
- Good communication in English, both written and verbal
- Bilingualism is an asset (English and French)
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to adjust to working with people of different background and abilities.
- Access to a vehicle
- Previous housekeeping experience is an asset
- Experience with Palliative Care is considered an asset
- First Aid CPR is considered an asset
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,600 employees operating in Eastern Counties, Ottawa, and Pembroke-Renfrew County. Formerly the Victorian Order of Nurses, Carefor has been providing service in Ottawa for over 123 years.
Please visit www.carefor.ca to learn about the range of programs and services we offer to the Champlain Region.
Carefor will only provide employment to those who can provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to Human Rights exemption.
Carefor values equity, diversity and inclusion in all its forms and recruits qualified individuals at all occupational levels that reflect the diversity of our clients and our community. We are committed to providing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and a work environment that supports our diverse workforce. If you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process, please let your TA Coordinator know or contact us in confidence at email@example.com providing notice in advance. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.