“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: September 24, 2021
THE OPPORTUNITY – Supervisor, Personal Support Services
Carefor Health & Community Services is in search of a Bilingual Supervisor, Personal Support Services, who takes pride in ensuring the highest quality client care services possible. Reporting to the Managers, Personal Support Services; the successful candidate is responsible to oversee the daily delivery of services provided by their team of Personal Support Workers. The Supervisor is responsible for completing initial assessment visits with new clients, updating care plans as required, participating in client case conferences, providing ongoing training and assessments, and leading regular staff job performance reviews.
In this role, you would provide leadership to an inter-disciplinary team supervising and contributing to the evaluation of staff, providing – in some cases virtual - leadership and coaching to assist staff with professional development and achievement of service and program goals.
Further duties could include taking a broad view of operations and service delivery, following through on issues that impact the quality of services provided, and providing some direct client care. In collaboration with the Managers, you will be encouraged to recommend program changes and develop procedures and standards to create efficiencies and innovative practices to operationalize services to support program development and services in the Personal Support Services Department as well as community engagement.
Who We Are:
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,600 employees. Formerly the Victorian Order of Nurses, Carefor has been providing service in Ottawa for over 123 years. Carefor’s strength is our frontline staff and their commitment to providing high quality and compassionate support to clients in need.
Carefor is unique in the region due to the comprehensive suite of services offered including professional services such as nursing, occupational therapy, social work, in-home physiotherapy and personal support services, as well as community support services such as meal delivery, non-urgent medical transportation, companion sitters, day programs, going home services, and homemaking. Carefor also owns and operates a number of residential care facilities offering retirement, respite, specialized supportive housing, and palliative care hospice services.
Operating in alignment with our values of respect, responsiveness, partnership, innovation and excellence, Carefor celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment to help people be their best, whether that be our staff through support and training or our clients through high-quality care and services.
What You Will Do:
As a Supervisor, Personal Support Services, you will have the following responsibilities:
§ Oversees and assists the Managers and overall operation and performance of the Personal Support Services staff
§ Acts as a resource, support and mentor to the Personal Support Services staff and provides coaching, education, and instruction to encourage staff to attain individual and operational performance objectives
§ Completes performance reviews on assigned Personal Support Services staff and identifies and discusses with the Managers employee issues which require disciplinary action
§ Investigates and evaluates client and staff concerns/complaints and implements appropriate resolutions
§ Understands, promotes, and communicates the value, purpose, and relationship of the Personal Support Services program to Carefor
§ Evaluates processes and implements strategies to increase efficiencies
§ Analyzes data to determine staffing complement in collaboration with the Managers
§ Works in collaboration with client/family to develop the initial Client Care Plan, revises as required, and completes Safety Assessments
§ Ensures that the quality of client care delivery is consistent with the mission, vision, values and strategic plan of Carefor
§ Meets the contractual terms set forth by external/funding partners and maintains communication with these partners as needed
§ Makes recommendations regarding PSW placement and schedules
§ Operates within and monitors individual, staff, and program compliance to Occupational Health and Safety Legislation, standards, and Carefor Policies & Procedures
§ Participates in health and safety training including WHMIS and applies this knowledge
§ Participate in client services on call rotation
What We Are Looking For:
In our fast-paced, responsive, and caring environment, we are looking for a self-starter Registered Nurse or Registered Practical Nurse from the College of Nurses of Ontario, who has the experience and ability to jump in on day one with energy and enthusiasm to advance best practices offering flexibility and adoptability. You will not be daunted by the various areas we would like you to focus on, as you enjoy the challenge of knowing there is always a list of priorities and you enjoy supporting a team to accomplish great things. You are unwavering as you will be working in an environment undergoing transformation and are open to exploring new ideas as a team and then contributing to the successful implementation of those ideas.
As the ideal candidate you have:
· 3+ years community experience in nursing or community support services
· Demonstrated supervisory experience and the ability to delegate tasks as required
· Demonstrated knowledge in dementia care, senior care and physically disabled adults preferred
· Experience working with unregulated workers preferred
· Proficiency in MS Office programs and client database management
· Strong observation, assessment, and problem solving skills
· Highly developed organizational and interpersonal skills
· Excellent communication skills and an understanding of effective communication methods when dealing with a culturally diverse population and a variety of individuals including staff, other service providers, clients, office staff, and LHIN Care Coordinators.
· Strong clinical assessments skills
· Proven strong problem solving and decision making ability
· Ability to work collaboratively as a member of an interdisciplinary team.
· A vehicle and a valid Ontario Driver’s license
· Bilingualism (French/English) required
What Success Looks Like:
· Respond to and follow through urgent situations regarding clients and PSWs, in accordance with Carefor contractual obligations
· Assist with creating and promoting a rehabilitation/return to work plan for injured workers that includes modified work assignments and monitors along with HR
· Operate within and monitor individuals, staff and program compliance to Occupational Health and Safety Legislation, standards, and Carefor Policies and Procedures
· Lead by example and promote continuous quality improvement
· Understand, promote, and communicate the value, purpose, and relationship of the Personal Support Services program to Carefor
· Assist with the development of policies and procedures for all business practices in Personal Support Services, based on changes in practice and requirements from funder or partner organization
· Work in collaboration with client/family to develop a Client Care Plan that is consistent with the mission, vision, values and strategic plan of Carefor, and complete Safety Assessments (Environmental and Fall Risk Assessments)
· Assist with operation of the programs in the Manager’s absence
· Make recommendations regarding PSW placement and schedules
What We Have to Offer You:
· Competitive base salary
· Health and dental benefits
· Defined benefit pension program
· Flexible schedule and work arrangements
· Work life balance
· Employee assistance program
· Professional development opportunities
· A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
We will only provide employment to those who can provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to Human Rights exemption.
Carefor values equity, diversity and inclusion in all its forms and recruits qualified individuals at all occupational levels that reflect the diversity of our clients and our community. We are committed to providing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and a work environment that supports our diverse workforce. If you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process, please let your TA Coordinator know or contact us in confidence at firstname.lastname@example.org providing notice in advance. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.