“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: July 18, 2021
The Opportunity - Personal Support Worker
Are you a PSW, DSW, Foreign-Trained Nurse/Doctor, Student Nurse, or Paramedics who is willing to make an impact in the lives of others and feel valued, respected, listened to, and empowered to live up to your potential? If so, Carefor Health & Community Services is the place for you.
At Carefor we are in ongoing need of Personal Support Workers to support our clients in their homes and in retirement settings. You will be providing them with care and support so they can stay at their own homes longer and more safely.
You will make an impact in the following ways:
- Assist in the activities of daily living including eating, dressing, transferring, grooming, and bathing
- Provide laundering of clothes and linens
- Provide light cleaning
- Provide respite care
- Provide light meal preparation
- Provide cognitive, social, and compassionate support
- Document reports for clients on their plan of care and any changes in the behavior of daily routines
- Other related duties and tasks as assigned by the Supervisor in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety legislation, regulations, and Carefor policies and procedures.
We are looking for individuals who:
- are capable of making a commitment of at least 15 hours/week
- are flexible to accommodate day shifts from 7:00 am-3:00 pm or evening shifts from 3:00 pm-11:00 pm and commit to shifts every second weekend (both Saturday and Sunday). To support planning, we will always make your schedule available two weeks in advance.
- see the possibilities in others and can support them to reach their full potential
- can access ZOOM for a video interview
- can use smartphone for communication and for screening applications
- communicate effectively in English, both written and verbal
- have strong interpersonal and customer focus skills
- have physical fitness sufficient to perform tasks that are necessary for the position, e.g. lifting/transferring clients
- are compassionate, empathetic, and creative
- have a desire to advocate for others and impact their community
You will need to have:
- Ontario Certified Personal Support Worker Certificate and/or National Association of Career Colleges (NAC) Certificate, or Certificate in Home Support Worker (Level II, III), or Developmental Service Worker program, Health Care Aide, Foreign-Trained BScN or Doctor, Paramedic Graduate, BScN Nursing Student, or second year RPN student.
- Clear Vulnerable Sector check (obtained within previous six months)
- Up to date immunizations for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, rubella, and hepatitis
- Negative tuberculosis test
- Experience with Palliative Care is considered an asset
- First Aid CPR is considered an asset
What can we offer you:
- Competitive wages (in addition to the Provincial government $3/hr. wage enhancement)
- Premiums for evening and weekend shifts
- Pay in lieu of benefits and vacation
- Paid Travel and time
- Paid 3-day orientation
- Paid professional development and training
- Paid education bursaries
- Employee Assistance Program
- All necessary Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Flexible work schedules
- Convenience to work in an area that is close to your home
- 24/7 on-call Supervisors’ support
- Opportunities for growth
- FT and PT opportunities
- A collaborative, diverse and inclusive team culture
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,600 employees operating in Eastern Counties, Ottawa, and Pembroke-Renfrew County. Formerly the Victorian Order of Nurses, Carefor has been providing service in Ottawa for over 123 years. Carefor’s strength is our frontline staff and their commitment to providing high-quality and compassionate support to clients in need.
Please visit www.carefor.ca to learn about the range of programs and services we offer to the Champlain Region.
Carefor is committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please let us know if you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.