“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: June 28, 2021
THE OPPORTUNITY – Supervisor, Inner City Health
Carefor Health & Community Services is in search of a Supervisor, Inner City Health, who takes pride in ensuring the highest quality client care services possible. Reporting to the Director, Ottawa Community Support Services and working with a team of three additional Supervisors. Hours of work would be evenings from Sunday to Thursday (and will involve some on call supports). This role will be an onsite supervisor role, located at one of our downtown locations and must be able to travel to other sites as needed. The team of supervisor(s) are responsible for overseeing the daily staffing, scheduling, and coordination of work for all ICH programs, and for conducting training, assessments, performance reviews, and conflict resolution.
In this role, you will provide leadership to an inter-disciplinary team supervising and contributing to the evaluation of staff, providing – in some cases virtual - leadership and coaching. In collaboration with the Supervisors, you work together to facilitate the staffing and scheduling of Client Care Workers in all ICH Programs.
In collaboration with the Director, you would promote information technology to make informed decisions and create efficiencies and innovative practices for the programs and services in the ICH Department.
Further duties could include taking a broad view of operations and service delivery, following through on issues that impact the quality of services provided, and providing some direct client care. In collaboration with the Managers, you will be encouraged to recommend program changes and develop procedures and standards to create efficiencies and innovative practices to operationalize services to support program development and services in the Personal Support Services Department as well as community engagement.
Who We Are:
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,600 employees and an annual operating budget in excess of $65M. Carefor is unique in the region due to the comprehensive suite of services offered including professional services such as nursing, occupational therapy, social work, in-home physiotherapy and personal support services, as well as community support services such as meal delivery, non-urgent medical transportation, companion sitters, day programs, going home services, and homemaking. Carefor also owns and operates a number of residential care facilities offering retirement, respite, specialized supportive housing, and palliative care hospice services.
Carefor has a long and rich history of providing home healthcare service(s) dating from 1897 as the first branch of the Victorian Order of Nurses (VON) of Canada. Throughout its history Carefor’s focus has been on providing client-focused care that includes care partners and complimenting care professionals. The compassionate and professional care and service offered by our staff is central to our success. With offices in Ottawa, Pembroke, and Cornwall, Carefor has become a committed and valued part of the wellbeing of the communities we serve.
Carefor maintains a fully accredited status with Accreditation Canada and embodies a strong belief in continuous quality improvement, education, and research. With its mission to meet clients’ health needs for high-quality home care and community support services, Carefor’s values of respect, partnership, responsiveness, innovation and excellence embody a commitment to the highest standards of client-centered service delivery.
Please visit www.carefor.ca and visit the pages for Eastern Counties, Ottawa, and Pembroke-Renfrew County to appreciate the depth and range of Carefor programs and services offered to the Champlain Region.
What You Will Do:
As a Supervisor, Inner City Health you will have the following responsibilities:
- Oversees the daily staffing, scheduling and coordination of work for ICH staff
- Oversees and assists the Director with the overall operation and performance of the Carefor ICH staff
- Acts as a resource, support and mentor to the ICH staff and provides coaching, education, and instruction to encourage them to attain individual and operational performance objectives
- Completes performance reviews on assigned staff and identifies and discusses with the Director employee issues which require disciplinary action
- Contributes to human resources management, including labour and employee relations, discipline, health and safety, continuing education, performance development, recognition of staff and orientation as required
- Supports staff in developing and implementing strategies for dealing with clients to ensure the adherence to all Carefor/ICH policies and procedures, and to ensure the safety of all staff and clients
- Investigates and evaluates client and staff concerns/complaints and works with Inner City partners to implement appropriate resolutions
- Assists Director in employee recruitment process, anticipates and monitors staffing needs and initiates appropriate action to obtain/maintain an adequate complement of staff
- Operational and Organizational Responsibilities:
- Influences policy review and development of quality standards and best practice for all staff working at ICH
- Leads by example and promotes continuous quality improvement
- Understands, promotes, and communicates the value, purpose, and relationship of the ICH program to Carefor
- Evaluates processes and implements strategies to increase efficiencies
- Develops procedures for program operational practices in ICH, and evaluates and revises policies and procedures on an ongoing basis based on changes in practice and requirements from funder or partner organization in consultation with the Director
- Analyzes data to determine staffing complement in collaboration with the Director
- Ensures that the quality of client care delivery is consistent with the mission, vision, values and strategic plan of Carefor
- Attends case conferences and staff meetings as required
- Meets the contractual terms set forth by external/funding partners and maintains communication with these partners as needed
- Assists with operation of the program in the Director’s absence
- Health and Safety Responsibilities:
- Operates within and monitors individual, staff, and program compliance to Occupational Health and Safety Legislation, standards, and Carefor Policies & Procedures
- Participates in health and safety training including WHMIS and applies this knowledge
What We Are Looking For:
As the ideal candidate, you have:
- Personal Support Worker Certificate, Developmental Service Worker, or related degree would be considered an asset
- Experience staffing, scheduling and coordination of teams
- Experience in health care administration would be considered an asset
- Demonstrated supervisory experience and the ability to delegate tasks as required
- Palliative care experience preferred
- Experience working with clients with mental health issues or addictions strongly preferred
- Experience working with unregulated workers preferred
- Works collaboratively with current Supervisor, ICH to cover all units
- Advanced communication skills (both verbal and written), and an understanding of effective communication tools
- Proficient in both written and oral communication
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and to manage multiple priorities
- Strong observation, assessment, and problem solving skills
- Highly developed organizational and interpersonal skills
- Bilingualism in French and English an asset
- Ability to plan, schedule, monitor, delegate and evaluate
- Ability to read, interpret and apply Carefor policy and procedures, client care plans, program manuals and other related regulations and standards
- Knowledge of and basic computer skills using the following: Email, Microsoft Word, Excel and other HRIS systems
What Success Looks Like:
- Respond to and follow through urgent situations regarding clients and Client Care Workers, in accordance with Carefor contractual obligations
- Assist with creating and promoting a rehabilitation/return to work plan for injured workers that includes modified work assignments and monitors along with HR
- Operate within and monitor individuals, staff and program compliance to Occupational Health and Safety Legislation, standards, and Carefor Policies and Procedures
- Lead by example and promote continuous quality improvement
- Assist with the development of policies and procedures for all business practices in Client Services, based on changes in practice and requirements from funder or partner organization
What We Have to Offer You:
- Competitive base salary
- Health and dental benefits
- Defined benefit pension program
- Flexible schedule and work arrangements
- Work life balance
- Employee assistance program
- Professional development opportunities
- A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
Carefor is committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please contact us in confidence and provide notice in advance if you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.