“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: June 21, 2021
The Opportunity – Client Care Worker, Inner City Health
Carefor Health & Community Services is in search of Client Care Workers to provide personal care, medication assistance and support to homeless clients in specialized units within three downtown shelters and six facilities in Ottawa. The Client Care Worker works collaboratively with the Ottawa Inner City Health Outreach Nurses, Carefor Nurses and other unit staff to provide personal care and support to clients while demonstrating respect, compassion and confidentiality.
You will make an impact in the following ways:
As a Client Care Worker, you will make an impact on the lives of your clients in the following ways:
- Provide personal care, which includes assistance with all aspects of activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, grooming, transferring, incontinent care, walking and eating
- Provide medication assistance to clients
- Provide cognitive, social and compassionate support
- Carry out client care plans and other directives within the role of unregulated care provider
- Use standard infection control measures including universal precautions
- Document reports for clients on their plan of care and any changes in behaviour of daily routines. Other related duties and tasks as assigned by the Supervisor in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety legislation, regulations, and Carefor policies and procedures.
We are looking for individuals who:
- Certificate in Personal Support Worker, Developmental Service Worker, Foreign Trained Nurse or Doctor, Paramedic Graduate, Nursing Student, or Registered Practical Nurse
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate
- Current CPR Level C Certificate
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training is considered an asset
- Suicide ASIST training is considered an asset
- Mental Health First Aid is considered an asset
- Experience in Palliative care is considered an asset
- Experience working with the homeless population preferred
- Experience working with mentally ill clients and/or substance abusers preferred
The Client Care Worker is a critical role within our communities as it positively affects the lives of clients and ignites the warmth of human connection. To provide optimal service to our clients as a Casual Client Care Worker, we require a commitment of at least six shifts per month including one weekend. We also require you to be flexible to accommodate day shifts from 7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m., evening shifts from 3:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m. and overnight shifts from 11 p.m.-7 a.m. Candidates with open availability and flexibility can work up to full-time hours.
You will need to have:
- Clear ulnerable Sector check (obtained within previous six months)
- Up to date immunizations for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, rubella and hepatitis
- Negative tuberculosis test
What we offer you:
- Competitive wages
- Evening and weekend shift premiums
- Paid professional development and training
- Paid orientation and preceptorship
- Employee Assistance Program
- All necessary Personal Protective Equipment
- Flexible schedule and work arrangements
- A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,600 employees operating in Eastern Counties, Ottawa, and Pembroke-Renfrew County. Formerly the Victorian Order of Nurses, Carefor has been providing service in Ottawa for over 123 years. Carefor’s strength is our frontline staff and their commitment to providing high quality and compassionate support to clients in need.
Please visit www.carefor.ca to learn about the range of programs and services we offer to the Champlain Region.
Carefor is committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please let us know if you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process. You can reach us at HR@Carefor.ca All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.