“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: June 14, 2021
The Opportunity – PSW/Homemaker
Carefor Health & Community Services is in search of a part-time Personal Support Worker/Homemaker in the Going Home Program, which is a program that aims to help seniors remain safely at home after leaving the hospital.
As a PSW/Homemaker with Carefor, you will be making a difference in the lives of your clients each day. You will provide personal care, light housekeeping, delegated exercise programs and activities of daily living (ADLs) at the homes of your clients as prescribed by each client’s individual care plan. The PSW/Homemaker will collaborate with the Program Coordinator to meet the needs of clients and attain an optimal level of independence in the home environment.
Access to a vehicle is required as there might be a need to travel throughout the City of Ottawa.
You will make an impact in the following ways:
- Assist in the activities of daily living including eating, dressing, transferring, toileting, grooming, and bathing
- Provide laundry of clothes and linens
- provide meal set-up and preparation
- provide cognitive, social and compassionate support
- document reports for clients on their plan of care and any changes in behavior of daily routines
- Maintain a clean, safe, home environment
- Sweep, vacuum, sponge mop floors
- Dust furniture
- Clean bathrooms
- Change bed linens, wash, dry personal clothing and linens
- Collect garbage from all rooms and dispose in designated trash bins
- Wash and dry dishes
- Wash fridge and stove (as required)
- Follow infection control policies and procedures for housekeeping
- Report unsafe conditions or changes in client’s home environment
What we offer you:
- Pay in lieu for benefits
- Pay in lieu for vacation
- Paid orientation
- Flexible schedule and work arrangements
- Work life balance
- Employee assistance program
- Professional development opportunities
- A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
You will be required to:
- Use safe body mechanics for lifting
- Bend, turn, squat on an ongoing basis
- Stand, sit, kneel for short periods
You will need to have:
- Ontario Certified Personal Support Worker Certificate and/or National Association of Career Colleges (NAC) Certificate, or Certificate in Home Support Worker (Level II, III), or Developmental Service Worker program, Health Care Aide, Foreign Trained BScN or Doctor, Paramedic Graduate, BScN Nursing Student, or second year RPN student.
- Clear vulnerable Sector check (obtained within previous six months)
- Up to date immunizations for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, rubella and hepatitis
- Negative tuberculosis test
- Household management experience
- Experience working with elderly/vulnerable sector
- Good communication in English, both written and verbal
- Bilingualism is an asset (English and French)
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to adjust to working with people of different background and abilities.
- Access to a vehicle
- Previous housekeeping experience is an asset
- Experience with Palliative Care is considered an asset
- First Aid CPR is considered an asset
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,600 employees operating in Eastern Counties, Ottawa, and Pembroke-Renfrew County. Formerly the Victorian Order of Nurses, Carefor has been providing service in Ottawa for over 123 years.
Please visit www.carefor.ca to learn about the range of programs and services we offer to the Champlain Region.
Carefor is committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please let us know in your application if you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.