“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: June 25, 2023
The Opportunity – Manager, Finance
Reporting to the Director, Finance, the Manager, Finance is responsible for leading a small team responsible for all aspects of finance, accounting and business support for our Community Support and Hospice operations in Eastern Counties. Key responsibilities include the financial close and the preparation of the financial statements for programs, preparation and analysis of financial reports, budgets, forecasts and developing and monitoring internal financial controls. The Manager, Finance collaborates with and supports the Community Support Services Director and leaders and will liaises with staff at all levels of the organization. The Finance Manager understands and promotes the importance of values, ethics and visions by guiding individuals and groups towards developing, sharing and contributing to the organization’s strategic and operational goals.
What You Will Do:
Accounting and Financial Reporting
· Plans, directs and coordinates financial activities, the month-end close, billing and payroll process for the Community Support and Hospice programs in accordance with established schedules
· Oversees monthly bank and account reconciliations
· Overall responsibility for Community Support billing to Carefor clients, partners and external agencies
· Ensures timely payments of vendor invoices and government remittances, providing oversight to purchasing practices and vendor relationships
· Monitors and reconciles the general ledger and ensures the appropriate allocation of expenditures
· Prepares, analyzes, reviews and verifies financial and statistical reports for accuracy, and supports the Operations team in explaining budget, service volume and target variances
· Prepares monthly, quarterly, annual and ad-hoc financial reports
· Maintains fixed asset accounting, sub ledger and capital tracking and analysis
· Develops the annual budget in collaboration with Operations and tracks departmental results. Prepares and updates forecasts.
· Assist with year-end reconciliations and audit requirements
· Liaises with and provides support to the Fundraising department for fundraising event planning, lottery license applications and receipt of bequests. Monitors fundraising activity to ensure compliance with CRA, responsible for the issuance of charitable tax receipts and assists with the preparation of the Registered Charity Return.
· Identifies and communicates matters which could have significant financial or operational implications
· Works collaboratively with other departments to ensure discrepancies and issues are resolved expediently and to ensure quality standards.
Internal Controls and Compliance
· Ensures that all financial and accounting activities are conducted in accordance with GAAP for NPO organizations, CRA, OHRS, and Carefor’s policies and procedures. Proactively identifies areas for improvement and institutes any necessary changes to improve internal controls, accuracy of financial data, and compliance.
· Promotes continuous improvement of Carefor’s day-to-day financial operations and procedures
· Oversees commodity tax processing and compliance and the preparation of returns and rebates
· Develops policies and procedures and guidelines for finance and accounting activities
· Conducts recruitment, selection, continuing education, performance development and performance appraisals
· Provides coaching, mentoring and technical accounting support as required
· Ensures back-up and cross training within the department
· Establishes goals, objectives, and work plans that support Carefor’s strategic direction and departmental objectives and timelines
Health and Safety Responsibilities:
· Monitors individual and staff compliance to Occupational Health and Safety Legislation and performs all management duties and responsibilities as described in the Occupational Health and Safety Legislation and Carefor Policies & Procedures
· Participates in and applies WHMIS and other health and safety training
· Professional Accounting Designation (CPA) required
· University Degree in Accounting/Business/Finance and/or equivalent program
· Five years progressive experience in accounting, audit or equivalent
· Advanced knowledge and skills with integrated business and accounting systems, financial analysis, data analysis, report design, and internal controls.
· Experience with business system and finance system implementations is an asset, as is experience with financial planning and budgeting tools (Workday Adaptive Planning or equivalent)
· Demonstrated ability to meet tight deadlines and work well under pressure
· Highly developed organizational, time management, problem solving and prioritizing skills are vital to success
· Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
· Effective leadership, coaching, training, supervising, and mentoring ability
· Proficiency with MS 365 and Microsoft Office tools
· Ability to analyze, distill and present financial information to different levels and roles of staff
· Experience in a not-for-profit organization or registered charity and healthcare is a strong asset, including knowledge of OHRS standards and reporting requirements
· Bilingual (English and French) is an asset
· Experience leading employees in a unionized environment is an asset
What we offer you:
· Competitive base salary
· Health and dental benefits
· Defined benefit pension program
· Flexible schedule and work arrangements
· Work life balance
· Employee assistance program
· Professional development opportunities
· A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
Carefor is committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please contact us in confidence and provide notice in advance if you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.
Carefor will only provide employment to those who can provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to Human Rights exemption.