“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: August 31, 2022
Reference No: OT-22-8-014
Job Group: Non-Union
Reporting to: Supervisor, Program
Start Date: ASAP
Carefor is a dynamic non-profit organization that provides multidisciplinary community-based health care services in the Ottawa area. We are known for our leadership in providing quality care in the areas of community medical care, rehabilitation, and support.
Carefor’s Adult Day Programs deliver social programs and recreational activities designed to promote the well-being of people living with Dementia as well as seniors living with mental health issues. Carefor Adult Day programs are conveniently located in the community in safe, supportive, and positive environments.
The Day Program Staff provides personal support to individuals in the Day Program within the framework of Carefor policies, procedures, standards and quality and risk management. The Program Staff collaborates with members of the program team in meeting the needs of individuals to attain optimal levels of independence, well-being, and safety.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Planning & Implementation:
- Responsible for daily in person and virtual program planning and implementation for clients.
- Researches and evaluates new and innovative programming.
- Schedules and maintain network of entertainers and other presenters.
- Completing daily assignment sheets for execution by Program Assistants.
- Runs daily team meetings, prior to client arrival and after client departure
- Monitoring and maintaining program safety
- Providing personal care as required
- Organizes the effective use of time, energy, supplies, and equipment
- Administers medication or ensures medications are given per the Client Profile
- Report to Team Lead/Supervisor any crisis prevention management events
- Assist with kitchen and cleaning duties as required
- Contributes and make changes to the development of the Client record/profile
Monitoring & Evaluating:
- Recognizing the social and emotional needs of clients and deals with them effectively.
- Observes, evaluates, and reports to Team Leader changes in the client’s physical, social, psychological and cognitive well-being.
- Reports to the Team Leader/Supervisor any changes in the client’s needs to update Client record/profile.
- Utilizes verbal and non-verbal communication skills effectively with the clients.
- Communicates effectively with team members on the execution of the day.
- Ensures Presenters, Students and volunteers have required information
Health and Safety:
- Wears or uses any/all protective equipment or clothing provided by the Carefor as required.
- Reports the absence of or defect in any equipment or protective device which may endanger a client or another worker
- Ensures all workplace incidents are reported to Supervisor or Team Lead in a timely manner in accordance with Carefor’s policies and procedures for workplace injuries and incidents
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and to work independently.
- Ability to document and complete data entry in a client management system
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Solid assessment and observational skills.
- Effective time management abilities.
- Superior communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to demonstrate an understanding and caring attitude towards individuals from diverse backgrounds and with special needs.
- Special consideration will be given to those applicants with abilities in music, theatre and/or art.
EDUCATION / QUALIFICATIONS
- Certificate, Diploma or Degree in one of the following: Recreation & Leisure, Social Services Worker, Personal Support Worker, Dementia Studies, Gerontology
- Developmental Service Worker, Psychology, or Sociology
- 1-2 years of experience working with seniors living with Dementia or Mental health issues
- Minimum of 1 year experience in delivering social recreational program for older adults.
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate and CPR level B Certificate.
- Completion of the Food Handler course an asset.
- Vulnerability Sector Check
- Bilingualism French/English as asset
What we offer you:
- Competitive annualized CAD$38, 356.50 ($19.67) - $47, 950.50 ($24.59).
- Defined Pension Plan with the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP)
- Annualized Paid Vacation
- Health & Dental Care
- Defined benefit pension program
- Flexible schedule and work arrangements
- Work life balance & Float Holidays
- Professional development opportunities
- A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our client
Carefor is committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please let us know in your application if you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity
Interested applicants should apply/forward their resume + cover letter to Human Resources in accordance with the timeline of the application. Please forward your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org and indicate the reference number of this posting on your cover letter.