“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: October 1, 2021
Reference No: 021-36
The Opportunity – Payroll Clerk
Under the supervision of the Payroll Supervisor, the Payroll Clerk is responsible for the accurate and timely processing of payroll by ensuring that all employee timecards and/or payroll data are captured, in accordance with hours worked, premiums due, and deductions required. The Payroll Clerk will also answer employee inquiries about their payroll, and as a member of the finance team they are responsible for providing support to other roles within the departments as required.
Please note that candidates may be selected with the use of interview and assessment processes.
You will make an impact in the following ways:
- Enter bi-weekly payroll for all salaried and hourly employees utilizing a computerized payroll system
- Respond to employee inquiries regarding pay both through the hotline and in person, and maintain record of inquiries and complaints
- Assist in preparation, verification, and submission of remittances required by law and other third-party payments (such as Union Dues, Canada Savings Bonds, Garnishees etc)
- Assist with verification of bi-weekly pay and other payroll reports as required
- Extract timesheets and review work hours for completeness and accuracy
- Follow payroll procedures for terminated employees
- Maintain and store payroll records as required internally and by governing bodies
- Assist in the preparation and submission of Record of Employment (ROE)
- Ensure accurate processing of sick pay, benefits, and vacation payouts
- Provide support for the creation and timely distribution of T2200’s and T4’s
- Stay current with payroll regulations and standards, and complete all duties in compliance with Health and Safety Legislation, regulations, and Carefor policies and procedures
- Function and report in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety legislation, legal standards, and Carefor Policies and Procedures; participate in training as necessary
What we offer you:
- Competitive base salary
- Health and dental benefits
- Defined benefit pension program
- Flexible schedule and work arrangements
- Work life balance
- Employee assistance program
- Professional development opportunities
- A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
We are looking for an individual who:
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and written, with the ability to explain payroll functions and technical information to employees in a clear and precise manner
- Ability to meet tight deadlines and work under pressure
- Ability to maintain confidential information and exercise initiative, discretion, and judgement
- Highly developed interpersonal and customer service skills
- Bilingualism (English/French) is considered an asset
You will need to have:
- Minimum of a college diploma in Accounting and Payroll Administration, or a related field, enrollment in CPA certification program an asset
- Previous payroll experience in a large, multi-union environment is preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of payroll, payroll tax law, and the processes for payroll verification and review is required
- Knowledge of general accounting principles
- Knowledge of computer software and payroll systems, such as Microsoft Office programs and Quadrant
- Knowledge of standard office procedures and practices including record keeping, filing and retrieval systems
- Extensive data entry skills and demonstrable attention to detail required
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,600 employees operating in Eastern Counties, Ottawa, and Pembroke-Renfrew County. Formerly the Victorian Order of Nurses, Carefor has been providing service in Ottawa for over 123 years.
Please visit www.carefor.ca to learn about the range of programs and services we offer to the Champlain Region.
Carefor will only provide employment to those who can provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to Human Rights exemption.
Carefor values equity, diversity and inclusion in all its forms and recruits qualified individuals at all occupational levels that reflect the diversity of our clients and our community. We are committed to providing inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection processes and a work environment that supports our diverse workforce. If you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process, please let your TA Coordinator know or contact us in confidence providing notice in advance. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.