“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
The Opportunity – Summer Student – Support Worker
As part of Canada Summer Jobs Program, Carefor is looking for a Summer Student Support Worker for Richmond Care Home.
The Richmond Care Home is a full service retirement home for women with a diagnosis of Alzheimer’s or a related dementia. Situated in the Village of Richmond, Ontario, the Home offers a small home-like, supportive environment for a maximum of 16 residents.
Richmond Care Home promotes a sense of safety, security and positive self-esteem. The program structure is flexible and activities are tailored to the client’s functionality, ability, and interests day-to-day. The Summer Student Support Worker will assist with serving snacks and light meal prep, participate in conversations and activities of special interest to each client, group social activities and the group exercise program. Our Support Workers operate within the framework of Carefor policies, procedures, standards and quality & risk management. In collaboration with other members of the health care team they work to meet the needs of the residents; to attain an optimal level of independence and well-being.
The Support Worker Supervisor on site in program and available to provide additional support and guidance. Manager available for additional support as well (but may be off site).
This is a 9-week summer student work opportunity, 30 hrs./week
Richmond Care Home is not accessible by public transit. The successful candidate MUST have their own means of transportation.
What you will do:
- Work directly alongside experienced staff at all times, as part of a small group
- Be mentored by senior staff to encourage development of job skills, team communication, information on client's needs and goals
- Create a plan to set out goals the new staff would like to achieve by the end of placement as well as goals discussed to provide the student with a learning rich environment
You will also learn:
- Further understanding of interacting with individuals with dementia
- Engaging individuals with dementia
- Basic job skills including time management
- Reliability, flexibility and team dynamics
What we are looking for:
- Areas of interest: Healthcare, Recreation and Leisure, Alzheimer’s, Dementia, and Seniors
- Must be able to work 30 hours each week, including alternating weekends for full duration of contract
- Must have a completed and clear vulnerable sector police check
- Successful candidate with demonstrate reliability and dependability in providing care to clients and participation in group social activities
- Must be able to communicate well in English, both written and verbal
- Bilingualism is an asset (English and French)
- Household management experience an asset
- Food Handlers Certificate an asset
- Ability to take direction well
What we offer you:
- Work schedules set 2 weeks in advance
- Work life balance
- A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,600 employees operating in Eastern Counties, Ottawa, and Pembroke-Renfrew County. Formerly the Victorian Order of Nurses, Carefor has been providing services for over 124 years.
Please visit www.carefor.ca to learn about the range of programs and services we offer to the Champlain Region.
Please submit your résumé through our website. Please note that all applications will be acknowledged. Those selected for an interview will be contacted directly.
Carefor is an equal opportunity employer, committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please contact us in confidence at jobs@Carefor.ca and provide notice in advance if you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.