“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: February 23, 2021
Reference No: 021-005
THE OPPORTUNITY – Warehouse and Maintenance Assistant
Carefor Health & Community Services is in search of a Warehouse and Maintenance Assistant to join our Facilities and Purchasing teams to assist with maintenance and shipping/receiving tasks. The Warehouse and Maintenance Assistant will work to ensure requests are processed efficiently while adhering to deadlines. The incumbent will ensure that while assisting Purchasing with shipping and receiving, all shipping security procedures are followed according to Carefor Policies and Procedures as well as ensuring compliance with all applicable Health and Safety Legislation.
Who We Are:
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,600 employees. Formerly the Victorian Order of Nurses, Carefor has been providing service in Ottawa for over 123 years. With offices in Ottawa, Pembroke and Cornwall, Carefor has become a committed and valued part of the wellbeing of the communities we serve.
Carefor is unique in the region due to the comprehensive suite of services offered including professional services such as nursing, occupational therapy, social work, in-home physiotherapy and personal support services, as well as community support services such as meal delivery, non-urgent medical transportation, companion sitters, day programs, going home services, and homemaking. Carefor also owns and operates a number of residential care facilities offering retirement, respite, specialized supportive housing, and palliative care hospice services.
Operating in alignment with our values of respect, responsiveness, partnership, innovation and excellence, Carefor celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment to help people be their best, whether that be our staff through support and training or our clients through high-quality care and services.
Please visit the pages for Eastern Counties, Ottawa, and Pembroke-Renfrew County at www.carefor.ca to appreciate the depth and range of Carefor programs and services offered to the Champlain Region.
What You Will Do:
- Responds to and executes planned and unplanned maintenance requests, duties and tasks as required.
- Promotes occupational safety, conducts scheduled fire and emergency preparedness drills.
- Assists in identifying needs for repair or renovations.
- Serves as an onsite liaison with maintenance contractors.
- Performs other duties and special projects as assigned by Facilities Supervisor.
- Promotes and follows all company and regulatory standards for Occupational Health and Safety (OHS), Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points (HACCP) and Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS).
- Assists in the maintenance of receiving and garbage area equipment.
- Ensures compliance with all company policies, procedures and standards for people safety, quality, cost control and waste reduction measures
- Ensures accuracy of merchandise and orders received.
- Ensures proper planning, staging, and scheduling for receipt of incoming merchandise.
- Stages and prepares products for daily deliveries, returns or pickups.
- Ensures that products are handled with care and in a manner that results in no unnecessary damage.
- Ensures the accuracy of all inventory, and participates in daily inventory counting.
- Ensures that merchandise is properly stored away and properly rotated at all times.
- Ensures that all receiving and shipping security procedures are followed at all times as per Company policy.
- Ensures that cleanliness is well maintained throughout the department at all times, including outside of loading docks and garbage disposal areas.
- Adjusts and creates paperwork as required with approval from management.
- Assists with loading customer pickups when necessary.
- Communicating with drivers as the need arises.
- Provides back up for the Purchasing Clerk.
What We Are Looking For:
- High School diploma or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to lift objects up to 50 pounds, climb ladders and work at particular heights; and perform other physical duties which may include bending, kneeling, reaching and standing for extended periods of time
- Demonstrated excellent communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills with a proven effective customer service focus.
- Ability to complete tasks with minimal supervision
- Demonstrated knowledge of occupational health and safety standards and procedures
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite
- Demonstrated skills in light carpentry, plumbing, painting and equipment maintenance
- Demonstrated ability to organize inventory and product storage
- Experience working in a health care environment and/or working in a non-profit organization will be considered an asset
- Ability to converse in both official languages will be considered an asset
What We Have to Offer You:
- Competitive base salary
- Health and dental benefits
- Defined benefit pension program
- Work life balance
- Employee assistance program
- Professional development opportunities
- A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter – we want to hear your story – your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit for you at this time.
Please submit your cover letter and résumé in confidence through our website. Please note that all applications will be acknowledged but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We know that fit for a role goes both ways - You may have other questions – so feel free to email us in advance of applying. The posting will remain active on our website until our search process is complete.
Carefor is committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please contact us in confidence at HR@Carefor.ca and provide notice in advance if you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.
Carefor welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. If you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please advise the Recruiter.
Please apply by filling out the form below or faxing your cover letter and resume to (613) 749-4002 indicating on your cover letter or resume the position for which you are applying and the Reference Number.