“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: December 10, 2020
The Opportunity - Personal Support Worker
Carefor Health & Community Services is in search of Casual Personal Support Workers (PSWs) to support our clients in their homes and in retirement settings. As a Personal Support Worker with Carefor, you will be making a difference in the lives of your clients each day. You will provide personal care, light housekeeping, delegated exercise programs and activities of daily living (ADLs) as prescribed by each client’s individual care plan.
You will collaborate with all members of the health care team to meet the needs of your clients and help them attain their optimal level of independence and well-being.
Who we are:
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,600 employees. Formerly the Victorian Order of Nurses, Carefor has been providing service in Ottawa for over 123 years. Carefor’s strength is our frontline staff and their commitment to providing high quality and compassionate support to clients in need.
Carefor is unique in the region due to the comprehensive suite of services offered including professional services such as nursing, occupational therapy, social work, in-home physiotherapy and personal support services, as well as community support services such as meal delivery, non-urgent medical transportation, companion sitters, day programs, going home services, and homemaking. Carefor also owns and operates a number of residential care facilities offering retirement, respite, specialized supportive housing, and palliative care hospice services.
Please visit www.carefor.ca and visit the pages for Eastern Counties, Ottawa, and Pembroke-Renfrew County to appreciate the depth and range of Carefor programs and services offered to the Champlain Region.
Operating in alignment with our values of respect, responsiveness, partnership, innovation and excellence, Carefor celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment to help people be their best, whether that be our staff through support and training or our clients through high-quality care and services.
What you will do:
The Personal Support Worker is a critical role within our communities as it positively affects the lives of clients and ignites the warmth of human connection. To provide optimal service to our clients as a Casual Personal Support Worker, we require that you are capable of making a commitment of at least 15 hours/week, be flexible to accommodate day shifts from 7:00am-3:00pm or evening shifts from 3:00pm-11:00pm and commit to shifts every second weekend (both Saturday and Sunday). To support planning, we will always make your schedule available two weeks in advance.
You will be provided with a Carefor smart phone to facilitate communication with clients, supervisors and the coordinators with whom you will work closely while you are in the community.
Carefor provides comprehensive training on the smartphones, scheduling software and other crucial applications.
As a Personal Support Worker, you will make an impact on the lives of clients in our communities in the following ways:
· Assist in the activities of daily living including eating, dressing, transferring, toileting, grooming, and bathing
· Providing laundering of clothes and linens
· Providing light cleaning
· Providing respite care
· Providing meal set-up and preparation
· Providing cognitive, social and compassionate support
· Documenting reports for clients on their plan of care and any changes in behavior of daily routines
· Other related duties and tasks as assigned by the Supervisor in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety legislation, regulations, and Carefor policies and procedures.
What we offer you:
· Competitive wages (which include the new Provincial government $3/hr. wage enhancement)
· Evening and weekend shift premiums
· Percentages in lieu of benefits and vacation
· Paid Travel and time
· Paid professional development and training
· Paid orientation and preceptorship
· Paid education bursaries
· Employee Assistance Program
· Smart phone
· Access to all necessary Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
· Flexible schedule and work arrangements
· Convenience to work in an area that is close to your home
· A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
Carefor welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. If you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please advise the Recruiter.
Please apply by filling out the form below or faxing your cover letter and resume to (613) 749-4002 indicating on your cover letter or resume the position for which you are applying and the Reference Number.