“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: January 26, 2021
Reference No: 021-004
THE OPPORTUNITY – IT Deskside Technician
Carefor Health & Community Services is in search of a Deskside Technician to join our IT team in enhancing user’s technology experiences while continuously improving Carefor’s day-to-day operations. As an IT Deskside Technician, you will provide remote and on site troubleshooting, support, installation and maintenance for computer systems, mobile devices, and networks throughout the organization. You will also on-board users and provide user training on the effective and safe usage of the IT infrastructure. This is a key role that allows Carefor to continue supporting a remote workforce to successfully deliver essential services to the community.
Who We Are:
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,600 employees. Formerly the Victorian Order of Nurses, Carefor has been providing service in Ottawa for over 123 years. With offices in Ottawa, Pembroke and Cornwall, Carefor has become a committed and valued part of the wellbeing of the communities we serve.
Carefor is unique in the region due to the comprehensive suite of services offered including professional services such as nursing, occupational therapy, social work, in-home physiotherapy and personal support services, as well as community support services such as meal delivery, non-urgent medical transportation, companion sitters, day programs, going home services, and homemaking. Carefor also owns and operates a number of residential care facilities offering retirement, respite, specialized supportive housing, and palliative care hospice services.
Operating in alignment with our values of respect, responsiveness, partnership, innovation and excellence, Carefor celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment to help people be their best, whether that be our staff through support and training or our clients through high-quality care and services.
Please visit the pages for Eastern Counties, Ottawa, and Pembroke-Renfrew County at www.carefor.ca to appreciate the depth and range of Carefor programs and services offered to the Champlain Region.
What You Will Do:
- Communicate directly or remotely with end users to understand, document, resolve or escalate IT issues or requests such as permissions, connectivity, mobile and desktop hardware problems, configuration, etc.
- Use diagnostic techniques and direct inquiry to understand user issues
- Perform, manage, and maintain incident information using Help Desk management software
- Lead end users through the problem-solving process and determine the best course of action based on the issue and details provided, (e.g. repair / replace software or hardware)
- Perform remote and on site troubleshooting to diagnose and resolve software and hardware, problems (repair or replace parts, debugging, warranty etc.)
- Set up computers and necessary peripheral devices (printers etc.)
- Configure and supports business equipment (video conferencing, door access systems, mobile devices, telecom equipment, etc.)
- Install and configures appropriate software and functions according to specifications and permissions to ensure optimal performance and security
- Organize and execute upgrades and maintenance (e.g. software, firmware, equipment and systems) in accordance with established requirements
- Provide orientation, guidance and training to users on IT products and services
- Direct unresolved issues to the next level of IT support personnel
- Record events and problems, actions taken, and their resolution
- Monitor open requests, follow-up and update end user status and information
- Document end user feedback, identify and suggest improvements on IT procedures
- Maintain records/logs of repairs and fixes and maintenance schedule
- Maintain inventory of computer equipment and supplies and place replenishment orders
- Create, maintain and contribute to technical documentation, manuals and IT policies
- Work collaboratively with the IT team to plan, troubleshoot and resolve issues
What We Are Looking For:
- Certificate or Community College diploma in Computer Science or relevant field
- Minimum of three years' experience as an IT Technician providing end user technical support, supporting computer software and hardware and a variety of IT applications, networks and operating systems
- Certification as IT Technician (e.g. CompTIA A+, Microsoft Certified IT Professional) is considered an asset
- Working knowledge of office automation products, databases, mobile devices and remote support tools
- Ability to diagnose and resolve advanced technical issues
- Excellent customer service skills
- Strong organizational and time-management skills
- Knowledge of internet security and data privacy principles
- Access to a vehicle for transportation and valid driver's license
- Ability to effectively interface and communicate with technical and nontechnical staff at all organizational levels
What We Have to Offer You:
- Competitive base salary
- Health and dental benefits
- Defined benefit pension program
- Flexible schedule and work arrangements
- Work life balance
- Employee and Family assistance program
- Professional development opportunities
- A collaborative culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter – we want to hear your story – your background, your accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit for you at this time.
Please submit your cover letter and résumé in confidence through our website. Please note that all applications will be acknowledged but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. We know that fit for a role goes both ways - You may have other questions – so feel free to email us in advance of applying. The posting will remain active on our website until our search process is complete.
Carefor is committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please contact us in confidence at HR@Carefor.ca and provide notice in advance if you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.
Carefor welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. If you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please advise the Recruiter.
Please apply by filling out the form below or faxing your cover letter and resume to (613) 749-4002 indicating on your cover letter or resume the position for which you are applying and the Reference Number.