“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: October 16, 2020
Reference No: ADM20-013
Carefor Health & Community Services is a local not-for-profit charity that provides home healthcare and community support services across Eastern Ontario. Whether in the home, in the community, at care facilities or one of our clinics, our 1,500 staff are part of the circle of care that is tailored to patient and client needs.
THE OPPORTUNITY – Human Resources Business Partner
Carefor Health & Community Services is in search of a seasoned HR professional who takes pride in being both a business champion and employee advocate. Reporting to the Director, Human Resources; the HR Business Partner provides consulting and coaching to the business leaders and employees in key areas of the broad HR profession, including but not limited to business partnership, employee and labor relations, compliance, compensation, change management and policy development.
Carefor continues to build and transform from a personnel focused organization to a culture that demonstrates what it believes and practices on a daily basis; that its people are its most cherished resource, and that the organization delivers best-in-class service to its clients through its people.
The incumbent will have the opportunity to own the employee experience from end-to-end and help support the business strategy and operational plans. They are a trusted partner and subject matter expert who provide strategic and tactical advice, services and support to internal stakeholders and help re-position the HR Team as a highly performing strategic Business Partner across the multi-site organization.
Who We Are:
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,600 employees and an annual operating budget in excess of $65M. Carefor is unique in the region due to the comprehensive suite of services offered including professional services such as nursing, occupational therapy, social work, in-home physiotherapy and personal support services, as well as community support services such as meal delivery, non-urgent medical transportation, companion sitters, day programs, going home services, and homemaking. Carefor also owns and operates a number of residential care facilities offering retirement, respite, specialized supportive housing, and palliative care hospice services.
Carefor has a long and rich history of providing home healthcare service(s) dating from 1897 as the first branch of the Victorian Order of Nurses (VON) of Canada. Throughout its history Carefor’s focus has been on providing client-focused care that includes care partners and complimenting care professionals. The compassionate and professional care and service offered by our staff is central to our success. With offices in Ottawa, Pembroke, and Cornwall, Carefor has become a committed and valued part of the wellbeing of the communities we serve.
Carefor maintains a fully accredited status with Accreditation Canada and embodies a strong belief in continuous quality improvement, education, and research. With its mission to meet clients’ health needs for high-quality home care and community support services, Carefor’s values of respect, partnership, responsiveness, innovation and excellence embody a commitment to the highest standards of client-centered service delivery.
Please visit www.carefor.ca and visit the pages for Eastern Counties, Ottawa, and Pembroke-Renfrew County to appreciate the depth and range of Carefor programs and services offered to the Champlain Region.
What You Will Do:
As an HR Business Partner, you will work closely with your peers on the HR team and with various Business Leaders across the organization to provide HR expertise. You use your coaching and mentoring skills to advise People Managers in their people-related matters including development, retention, and attraction, leveraging knowledge of HR and business practices.
You use your technical knowledge of the broad spectrum of human resources operating in a multi unionized environment, from talent acquisition, talent management/development, and total rewards, to building a continuous improvement, customer-centric culture. You will develop ideas to enhance HR tools and processes and be an active participant in cross-business, regional HR initiatives.
To be successful in this position, you will need to understand the business environment and partner with the greater HR network to help influence the culture, create a positive employee experience, and champion all organization changes.
You will work diligently to ensure that all employee issues are dealt with positively and professionally in their resolution. Partner with the HR team to ensure options related to employee compensation, training and development, and onboarding are running smoothly.
In your efforts to ensure compliance with all legal, legislative, and regulatory requirements, you will anticipate and identify emerging issues, trends and challenges that affect policies and programs and then develop and implement necessary changes, while providing advice to managers and supervisors in line with employment legislation and relevant collective agreements to handle employee/labor relations issues as required.
What We Are Looking For:
In our fast-paced, responsive, and caring environment, we are looking for a self-starter who has the experience and ability to jump in on day one with energy and enthusiasm to advance best practices. You will not be daunted by the various areas we would like you to focus on, as you enjoy the challenge of knowing there is always a list of priorities and you enjoy supporting a team to accomplish great things. You are unwavering as you will be working in an environment undergoing transformation and are open to exploring new ideas as a team and then contributing to the successful implementation of those ideas.
As the ideal candidate, you will have at least 5-7 years of experience as an HR generalist/business partner. You have completed a university degree specializing in Business or Human Resources management, and you have achieved your CHRP/CHRL or equivalent designation. Carefor is a multi-bargaining unit environment so having 3+ years’ experience operating in a labor relations environment would be strongly desired. We will consider your application if you have extensive equivalent related experience and accomplishments.
The following items describe important experience and competency areas you have demonstrated in your current or previous roles in order to be successful in this role:
· Your communication skills are highly developed, both verbal and written and you are able to deliver information in a variety of settings.
· You are known for your interpersonal skills, which enable you to build strong relationships and partnerships with the business leaders, understand the business objectives and deliver appropriate, timely and high-quality HR solutions.
If you have the following it would be considered an additional asset:
· Ability to converse in both official languages (English/French)
· Experience in health care and not-for-profit sectors
· Experience with QuadrantHR or other HRMS systems
· Experience in business transformation and change management
What Success Looks Like:
· You have ensured the successful execution of key Human Resources projects and programs, and evaluated against pre-determined success metrics and implemented a lessons-learned approach
· You have led the continuous improvement of internal HR systems to support the demands of a service oriented business and evaluated and implemented an effective HR structure that will best serve the organization
· You have ensured that the organization is compliant with all legislated requirements including the Employment Standards Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, Human Rights Code and respects diversity and inclusion
· You have planned and coordinated/supported the delivery of annual HR initiatives with business leaders such as workforce/talent planning, stay interviews, employee engagement initiatives, and other programs that may be developed.
· You have engaged with subject matter experts such as compensation and benefits, pension, health and wellness and HR systems & policies, to provide your client with a holistic approach to issue resolution based on best practice and in line with policies and legislation
· You have collaborated with team members on new approaches, programs, policies and procedures to continually improve HR practices in support of Carefor’s quality of service and operational plan achievement
· In the spirit of continuous improvement, you have led and facilitated the off-boarding process; conducted exit interviews with employees, analyzed, documented and shared results with leadership, monitored trends and made recommendations for policy, program and process changes as appropriate
What We Have to Offer You:
· Competitive base salary
· Health and dental benefits
· Defined benefit pension program
· Flexible schedule and work arrangements
· Work life balance
· Employee assistance program
· Professional development opportunities
· A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
Please take the time to tell us about yourself in a cover letter – we want to hear your story – your background, your HR related accomplishments, and why this role is a good fit for you at this time.
Please submit your cover letter and résumé in confidence through our website by October 30, 2020. Please note that all applications will be acknowledged. Those selected for an interview will be contacted directly. Compensation will be market competitive and will be dependent on your qualifications and experience. We know that fit for a role goes both ways and you may have other questions – so feel free to contact us in advance of applying. The posting will remain active on our website until our search process is complete. We anticipate the 1st round of interviews to begin the week of November 16, 2020.
Carefor is committed to providing an inclusive, barrier-free recruitment and selection process. Please contact us in confidence at HR@Carefor.ca and provide notice in advance if you require accommodations at any stage of the recruitment process. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity.
Carefor welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. If you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please advise the Recruiter.
Please apply by filling out the form below or faxing your cover letter and resume to (613) 749-4002 indicating on your cover letter or resume the position for which you are applying and the Reference Number.