“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: May 10, 2019
Reference No: CSJ19-02
Position(s): Summer Position – Perley Rideau Day Program Assistant
Carefor Health & Community Services is a local not-for-profit charity that provides home healthcare and community support services across Eastern Ontario. Whether in the home, in the community, at care facilities or one of our clinics, our 1,500 staff are part of the circle of care that is tailored to patient and client needs.
Term Length: Nine (9) weeks, 30 hours per week
The Program Assistant supports the day-to-day delivery of client-centered socio-recreational programs. Carefor’s Perley Rideau Day Program serves individuals living with dementia and/or cognitive impairments. The incumbent will work in partnership with the program staff to ensure the needs of individuals are met, promoting independence and well-being.
Canada Summer Jobs Criteria: Eligible Candidates must be between 15 and 30 years old and be legally entitled to work in Canada. International students are not eligible.
- Assist with the implementation of the socio-recreational adult day programs. This includes but is not limited to:
- Assist with set up and tear down of activities;
- Assist clients with and participate in social/group activities such as art, cards, billiards, music, board games, baking, bean bag toss etc
- Assist with and participate in word and trivia games as well as reminiscence therapy activities;
- Participate in group discussions and individual conversations with clients regarding: current events, life experiences, and any other topic of specific interest to the client;
- Assist clients with daily exercise program and other physically active games;
- Assist with the organization of special events planned;
- Assist with preparation of snacks and meals.
- Work with staff to supervise clients and identify if client requires support;
- Ensure clients are treated with respect and dignity, recognizing individual needs and encouraging independence;
- Other activities and duties as requested by Program Supervisor/Team Leaders.
- Student or Graduate of: Recreation & Leisure, Social Services Worker, Personal Support Worker, Creative Arts, Dementia Studies, Gerontology preferred
- Demonstrated ability and/or interest to work with people living with dementia and/or cognitive impairments, and seniors;
- Good communication and interpersonal skills;
- Special consideration will be given to those applicants with abilities in music and/or have artistic pursuits
Carefor is committed to Employment Equity and Diversity and invites applications from Women, Aboriginal People, Persons with Disabilities and Visible Minorities.
Please apply by filling out the form below or faxing your cover letter and resume to (613) 749-4002 indicating on your cover letter or resume the position for which you are applying and the Reference Number.