“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: May 10, 2019
Reference No: CSJ19-006
Position(s): Summer Position – Two (2) Carling Adult Day Program Assistants
At Carefor Health & Community Services, we provide services for people of all ages and all stages of life. Our charitable, not-for-profit home health care organization stands by the same mission we've had since 1897, allowing us to proudly offer a wide variety of accessible home care and community support services that meet the individual needs of the communities we serve.
Term Length: Nine (9) weeks, 30 hours per week
The Program Assistant supports the day-to-day delivery of client-centered socio-recreational programs. Carefor’s Carling Adult Day Program serves individuals living with dementia as well as seniors living with mental illness. The student will work in partnership with the program staff to ensure the needs of individuals are met, promoting independence and well-being.
Canada Summer Jobs Criteria: Eligible Candidates must be between 15 and 30 years old and be legally entitled to work in Canada. International students are not eligible.
- Assist with the implementation of the socio-recreational adult day programs. This includes but is not limited to:
- Assist with set and tear down of activities
- Assist clients with and participate in social/group activities such as art, cards, billiards, music, board games, baking, etc.
- Assist with and participate in word and trivia games as well as reminiscence activities
- Participate in group discussions and individual conversations with clients regarding: current events, life experiences, and any other topic of specific interest to the client
- Assist clients with daily exercise program and other physically active games
- Assist with the organization of special events planned
- Assist with preparation of snacks and meals
- Work with staff to supervise clients and identify if client requires support
- Ensure clients are treated with respect and dignity, recognizing individual needs and encouraging independence
- Other activities and duties as requested by Program Supervisor/Team Leaders
- Student or Graduate of: Recreation & Leisure, Social Services Worker, Personal Support Worker, Creative Arts, Dementia Studies, Gerontology
- Demonstrated ability and interest to work with people living with dementia, mental health issues, and seniors
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Special consideration will be given to those applicants with abilities in music and/or have artistic pursuits
Carefor is committed to Employment Equity and Diversity and invites applications from Women, Aboriginal People, Persons with Disabilities and Visible Minorities.
Please apply by filling out the form below or faxing your cover letter and resume to (613) 749-4002 indicating on your cover letter or resume the position for which you are applying and the Reference Number.