“A rewarding career in caring starts here”
Posting Date: December 3, 2020
Reference No: C20-56
Position(s): Ten (10) casual positions
Carefor Health & Community Services is in search of Personal Support Workers, Developmental Support Workers, Paramedic Graduates, Foreign Trained Nurses or Doctors, and Nursing Students to provide personal care, medication assistance and would be supporting some of our community’s most vulnerable residents, people who are living homeless, clients in specialized units within three downtown shelters and six facilities in Ottawa. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with the Ottawa Inner City Health Outreach Nurses, Carefor Nurses and other unit staff to provide personal care and support to clients while demonstrating respect, compassion and confidentiality.
Who we are:
Carefor is Eastern Ontario’s largest home care and community support services not-for-profit with over 1,600 employees. Formerly the Victorian Order of Nurses, Carefor has been providing service in Ottawa for over 123 years. Carefor’s strength is our frontline staff and their commitment to providing high-quality and compassionate support to clients in need.
Carefor is unique in the region due to the comprehensive suite of services offered including professional services such as nursing, occupational therapy, social work, in-home physiotherapy and personal support services, as well as community support services such as meal delivery, non-urgent medical transportation, companion sitters, day programs, going home services, and homemaking. Carefor also owns and operates a number of residential care facilities offering retirement, respite, specialized supportive housing, and palliative care hospice services.
Please visit www.carefor.ca and visit the pages for Eastern Counties, Ottawa, and Pembroke-Renfrew County to appreciate the depth and range of Carefor programs and services offered to the Champlain Region.
Operating in alignment with our values of respect, responsiveness, partnership, innovation and excellence, Carefor celebrates diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive environment to help people be their best, whether that be our staff through support and training or our clients through high-quality care and services.
What you will do:
This position is a critical role within our communities as it positively affects the lives of clients and ignites the warmth of human connection. To provide optimal service to our clients, we require a commitment of at least six shifts per month including one weekend. We also require you to be flexible to accommodate day shifts from 7:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m., evening shifts from 3:00 p.m.-11:00 p.m. and overnight shifts from 11 p.m.-7 a.m. Candidates with open availability and flexibility can work up to full-time hours.
You will make an impact on the lives of your clients in the following ways:
- Providing personal care, which includes assistance with all aspects of activities of daily living such as bathing, dressing, grooming, transferring, incontinent care, walking and eating
- Providing medication assistance to clients
- Provide cognitive, social and compassionate support
- Carry out client care plans and other directives within the role of unregulated care provider
- Use standard infection control measures including universal precautions
- Document reports for clients on their plan of care and any changes in behaviour of daily routines. Other related duties and tasks as assigned by the Supervisor in compliance with the Occupational Health and Safety legislation, regulations, and Carefor policies and procedures.
What we offer you:
- Competitive wages which includes the new provincial government temporary $3 per hour wage enhancement premium
- Evening and weekend shift premiums
- Paid professional development and training
- Paid orientation and preceptorship
- Paid education bursaries
- Employee Assistance Program
- All necessary Personal Protective Equipment
- Flexible schedule and work arrangements
- A collaborative team culture that supports making a difference in the lives of our clients
What you will be required to provide:
- Clear vulnerable Sector check (obtained within previous six months)
- Up to date immunizations for diphtheria, tetanus, polio, rubella and hepatitis
- Negative tuberculosis test
- Certificate in Personal Support Worker, Developmental Service Worker, Foreign Trained Nurse or Doctor, Paramedic Graduate, Nursing Student, or Registered Practical Nurse
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to work independently
- Current Standard First Aid Certificate
- Current CPR Level C Certificate
- Non-Violent Crisis Intervention training is considered an asset
- Suicide ASIST training is considered an asset
- Mental Health First Aid is considered an asset
- Experience in Palliative care is considered an asset
- Experience working with the homeless population preferred
- Experience working with mentally ill clients and/or substance abusers preferred
Carefor welcomes applications from all qualified candidates. If you require accommodation at any stage of the recruitment process, please advise the Recruiter.
Please apply by filling out the form below or faxing your cover letter and resume to (613) 749-4002 indicating on your cover letter or resume the position for which you are applying and the Reference Number.